1. Pitching to the wrong people – do they know who makes the buying decisions, what the buying process is, who refers, who recommends, who signs off and who has the final decision? If so – why are they still pitching to anyone who picks up the telephone?
2. They leave the sales meeting without asking for the business – know the next step before you leave or waste time writing up a proposal that will never get opened
3. They don’t know the budget of the buyer – ask the question. And also ask if they are talking to the person that will also sign the order.
4. Pipeline management is undisciplined – wasting time on the wrong prospects – not all business is created equal – know when to chuck the time wasters and tyre kickers out of the sales funnel
5. Aiming to hit target and not aiming to smash the sales target – subtle difference but leads to massive sales failure
6. Failing to work the numbers strategically – entering the sales month knowing they only have 50% of what they need to close in their sales pipeline for the following month, yet not doing any cold prospecting
7. Chasing bad business – prospects that can’t afford your prices, are more trouble than they are worth, who cost more to service than they bring in
8. Not charging high enough rates
9. Being scared of rejection, ask the question, information allows the sales person to be in charge of the sales process
10. Starting price negotiations too early, a delay in response doesn’t automatically mean the price is too high….
Learn how you can banish these huge sales mistakes and 100’s more from your sales team by joining us on Being Brilliant at the Sales Basics – 121 sales coaching, 2 days sales training, ongoing telephone support and attend the course as a refresher again, any time you like. Being Brilliant at the Sales Basics – Sheffield March 12th and 13th – contact us directly for more details.
Carol Griffiths – Director and Lead Consultant
Morton Kyle Limited
0779 002 1885